Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Life's Challenges and Pleasures

Our few days in Key West last week were a combination of challenges and pleasures.   It was mostly a very enjoyable experience, but challenging physically, being on the go all the time.  I always desire my days off to be relaxing, but I like to do interesting things, too.

If you are in Key West, you simply have to shop on Duval Street.  So many unique things.  I always get a tee shirt, and this year it was so hot I got a tank top, with Conch Republic logo and art work from their tee shirt factory next to the Simonton Court bed and breakfast we stayed.  Last year, I wanted a Key West hurricane bracelet, but didn't get one, so buying one was on my list.  The Hurricane Bracelets are very symbolic to me because we moved to Florida in 2004, and six weeks after we arrived, three hurricanes came through central Florida in six weeks, and all three intersected within 10 miles of our home. It's rare for central Florida to get the full force of a hurricane.   So it was a stressful time for us.  Every time there's a hurricane near Florida, we feel the relief of it not affecting us directly, and consider the winds and rain that reach our area to be a blessing.


The person who designed these was selling them at the street market last Friday, so I had a chance to talk with him.  He helped me find the best size for my non-bangle wrist and showed me how to put it on and remove it.  It's a little tricky because the ball in the middle has to travel around the swirl and get pulled out.  And there was a story that went with the bracelet.  Sounds like buying jade from our stores, doesn't it!  Symbolism and a story.

"Hurricanes always grow in strength and each one has its lessons to teach with every passing season.  Share this charming bracelet wit those who have experienced your challenges and pleasures in life.  This design, with its unique clasp, locks in the center and wears perfectly with your personality". 

Good thoughts for mindful meditation.  And a reminder as I wear it during the day.

And it does look good when I wear it on the same wrist as my jade bangle bracelet.  But I like it by itself on my non-bangle wrist.  More symbolic for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment