Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Do You Need to Take a Class to Get Yoga Right? And, Yoga and Jade Bangle Bracelets!

Yes and no.

If you have never practiced yoga, or used a video to learn yoga, a class is very beneficial so you can learn the basic  yoga poses, procedure, and learn how these poses affect you and your body.

I learned yoga from a video about 30 years ago.  I lived in a rural area and there were no yoga classes during the time I was available or nearby.  I liked it.  And  I continued to love it. 

I wanted to experience yoga class, and I found a nearby class which I attended for a couple of years.  I enjoyed the class atmosphere, the instructor was inspiring, and I cherished this time with other yogis. 

As I got older, and found out I had osteoporosis, higher risk of breaking bones, I knew the  yoga was good to keep my balance, but realized I had to change my form to adjust to my body condition. And as arthritis started in me, I also knew I had to keep the stretch, movement to keep arthritis from getting worse and stay flexible.  I found a book, Yoga for 50, and it showed some minor body changes for the classic poses.  And I found a book, Yoga for Bone Health, that showed me more modification.  For example, when doing Plank form, instead of placing palms down on the mat,  I put my hands into fists and the weight is more comfortable and stable.  Also, when one has osteoporosis, they should never bend over, touch the ground, without bending knees. 

I modified my form, but it caused problems in classes.  I was told many times that my yoga was just not correct.

But it was correct for me.  So I chose 10-15 minutes of poses that were helpful to me, and I do them daily.  Then I add a few poses that I do during every day activities.  My doctors are impressed with the flexibility I have at my age. 

How to I know that my yoga routine is best for me?   By my jade bangle bracelet.  When I wear a jade bangle bracelet that has green veins in the stone, and white color, I can see the jade "glow" when I'm doing yoga, and for awhile until daily life might sneak in some negatives. 


Genuine natural jade bangle bracelets "glow" when your body is balanced and feeling good. 

Last weekend I was talking with a 70 year old male friend who asked if I was still doing yoga.  He doesn't go to classes, and he follows a form on video.  He asked what I thought about not going to classes.  And my thoughts are that a class is usually once a week, but doing yoga in your home is more convenient and that's better than not doing yoga at all.

You will know yoga has become a true part of your life, lifestyle, when you're cooking out on the grill, and while you're waiting to turn the chicken breasts over, you're doing yoga "tree" poses or other poses that seem like it's the right time to do them.

Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.
Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment