Monday, September 26, 2016

Old Jade + New Jade = "Heavenly Jade"

The Burmese jadeite bangle bracelets on Jade Heaven and Ying Yu Jade were all purchased prior to the Lantos embargo on any jadeite mined in Burma (Myanmar).  And FYI President Obama lifted all the sanctions against Burma except for 100 individuals, and jadeite and rubies.  But we know that jadeite is still being purchased by customers in USA and most people don't even know there is an embargo on jadeite mined in Burma, even when it is carved and sold from China.  Having a large web presence, I would not buy or sell jadeite that has been embargoed, but think an embargo on jadeite and rubies is ridiculous because it's not able to be enforced.

So in our world we have the old jadeite, "lao pit", or old mine that is older and rarely available now due to politics, and newer jadeite.  And we have jadeite that is very old, like Qing Dynasty and earlier, and that makes some of the jadeite prior to the 2008 embargo seem new.

Gemologists can see the difference, but most people don't notice a difference.  I was sorting through jadeite to get photographed, tested and listed, and could see the difference in stone quality, but while taking the photos, there didn't seem to be much difference.  Jade has an inner spiritual quality that can't be captured in a photo.  So many customers tell me that the jade they purchase is so much more pretty than the photo.

When I am handling all the jade bangle bracelets, I often put them on my wrists to get a "feel" for the qi energy, or use my wrists to sort them for various purposes like photos, testing, what I remember a customer asking for so I can save it for them.  And as you readers know, the addiction to jade that makes me keep some for myself.  While the photographer was taking photos,  I wanted some taken of the jade bangles on my wrist, and sometimes two or more jade bangles together on my wrist.  Jade bangles worn together often bump each other as I move, and I didn't want to crack or chip the jade, so I experimented with a "spacer" bracelet.  It's been listed on Jade Heaven, the Pandora style silver bracelet with jade bead as a "charm".  What is so interesting is that the bead is probably newer jadeite, but it looks so good and natural with the older jadeite bangle bracelets.

Old jadeite bangle bracelet with newer jadeite bead bracelet "spacer"

(Pamela, this photo is for you because we share our love for this favorite bracelet!)

The jadeite bangle I'm wearing is very old, maybe older than Qing Dynasty, but the bead with in the bracelet is much newer.  I didn't think the jadeite bead would look similar to the bangle bracelet, but when I put them together, it's like the qi energies in each one "shared".  And I put the bead bracelet with my other jade bangles, and it looked good with them, too.

New jadeite might not have the finer grain of the stone as older "lao pit" jadeite, but adding the new with the old certainly is a "heavenly" togetherness.


No comments:

Post a Comment