Saturday, September 2, 2017

My Personal Jade Bangle Bracelets and Why I Wear Them

I've been listing more of my personal jade bangle bracelets on "Ying Yu's Jewelry Box Collection". 

When I'm shopping for jade in China, I usually can't try on a bangle, because if I do then the seller will know I really like it, want it badly, and the price goes up.  When you shop at a jade market in southern China, near the Burma border,  it's a cash only transaction.  There are no prices on the jade, everything is "bargained" for.

So sometimes the jade bangle I'm hoping will fit me, doesn't feel comfortable.  But most of the time, my personal jade gets sold because I have too too much of it.  And I don't wear all of it, of course.  There are three of my personal jadeite bangle bracelets that I wear most of the time.   I often get asked why I choose the jade that I keep for myself, and here's why.

This carved jadeite bangle bracelet is the one I wear most of the time.  The color is green with charcoal smokey hues. It's carved with bat (symbol of happiness),flowers and bamboo. I was riding a train in China and a woman sitting next to me was very curious about my handbag.  I had learned some Chinese language, so could communicate with her simply.  She offered to trade her carved jade bangle for my handbag, and I agreed.  The jade bangle is old, probably early 1900's.  It feels very satisfying to wear this color jade.  There are honey veins where the bats are carved, qi energy for spleen, helping keep my balanced. And it "goes" with everything I wear.


This green and white jadeite bangle bracelet is classic round style, and small enough to stay near my wrist.  This is the one that "glows" with jade qi energy when I'm really happy, doing my spiritual practices, yoga, tai chi.  I like to wear it in the summer because the white translucent jadeite is cooling, and a few greener veins for health.  It's one of the first jadeite bangle bracelets I bought in China just when I was starting to sell jade online.



This jadeite is "yin and yang", dark and light color yin and yang are the basis of Dao, Chinese Medicine, tai chi and martial arts.  It's all about balance.  In winter, or cooler weather, I need the higher yang energy to keep warm and keep my body healthy.  I don't get pneumonia or flu shots, and I just need a little more energy in my life.  But I also need the soft green of yang to keep spiritually healthy.   This jadeite was some of the beginning of the newer jadeite from Burma after the sanctions were lifted in 2016.  This is what jade can look like that the jade carver wants translucence and green color, so they bleach out the color with acids, then add color to make it a C grade jadeite. In 2005 my shopping assistant and I both fell in love with this newer jade.  She was in her 20's and didn't want to wear a jade bangle because "that's what grandma wears", but when she saw this, we both decided it was "modern jade".  She bought her first jade bangle for herself, and a few for friends.  I bought quite a few, and they sold out quickly.

Sometimes a customer from a long time ago contacts me again, and tells me she is still loving her jade bangle, but feels like she needs a change of jade.  If that's what your body is telling you, then your jade can be like "medicine".  When you look at jade, some if it will appeal to you more,  you may notice some seem "just right".  Trust that, because it's your inner wisdom telling you that the jade will not only be jeweler, but "medicine" for you, too.



Comments are welcome.  To avoid SPAM, you will not see your comment
your comment posted until it has been moderated  through SPAM check 







No comments:

Post a Comment