Sunday, January 19, 2020

Jade Bangle Bracelets for Sore Wrists - What is My Jade Bangle Size?

In China for centuries, a family gave their daughter a jade bangle bracelet when she was very young, a young teenager.  When the young girl put it on her wrist, she left it on her wrist all the time, did not take it off.  As she grew older, her arm became larger.  By the time she was a woman, the jade bangle bracelet was close to her wrist, so tight it could not be removed by taking it off.  One of my long time Vietnamese customers told me this was also true in Vietnam, and other Asian countries.  She was getting ready for surgery  when she was "grandmother age", and the surgeon insisted that the bangle must be removed for the surgery that had nothing to do with her arm or wrist.  It had to be broken to remove, which also broke her heart.  After the surgery and her wrist healed from the needles that were inserted into her wrist, we spent quite awhile finding a similar jade bangle because she missed wearing jade so much. One of the problems was that because of her age, after she had the IV's and needles in her for so many days, her wrist was tender.

As we age, we may get arthritis in our wrists, fingers, hands.  This makes it more painful to put on, take of jade bangle bracelets.

My first jade bangle bracelet was in 1999, during my first trip to China.  The jade bangle I purchased was slightly too large, so when I returned to China the following years I looked for one that was really special.  The vintage, Dynasty era carved jade bangle that I saw on a woman during a train ride from Beijing was beautiful and looked "just right" for me.  As I mentioned in previous posts, the woman on the train was obsessed with my handbag, and traded the jade bangle for my handbag, and some of the contents.


My favorite, vintage carved Burmese jadeite bangle bracelet
Different all around, excellent carving.  Thick and heavy

I wore it almost all the time because I loved the history of it, all the carving.   But that carving, the thickness of the bangle inside-to-outside, made it heavy.  And as I got older, I started getting arthritis in my wrist, making it uncomfortable.  Then I got carpal tunnel symptoms, and it became quite painful.  I started taking it off at night, but it became difficult and painful to get on.  Time to change to another jade bangle bracelet (and I was very sad about this).

Of course I have a drawer full of jade bangles that are "my size" that I just can't sell because I love them so much.  I tried them all on and one of them that was very difficult to put on turned out to be the most comfortable of all of them.

Burmese jadeite bangle bracelet I wear today


It's lightweight, thin inside-to-outside, and the way it sits on my wrist it doesn't move around too much.  I don't feel the pain because of the sizing.  The darker green veins seem to give me more qi energy these days.  I feel more alert, more active and happy wearing it  The lighter green, almost white, adds some "yin" to the darker "yang" for balance.  It's good for me now. 

I have another jade bangle bracelet that I like to wear.  It's classic round and quite valuable "old mine" Dynasty era.  I remember seeing a large statue of Guan Yin, Buddha of Compassion, and she was wearing one very similar.  That's another reason I cherish it.  But at this time in my wrist and hand arthritis it just is too "clunky" for me, although I thought a slender classic round bangle would feel very comfortable.

My slender "Guan Yin" style classic round small Burmese jadeite bangle bracelet

If you want a comfortable jade bangle bracelet when your wrist is sore for whatever reason, choose one that is thin inside-to-outside, so it's lightweight, and is very tight getting on so it will stay close to your wrist.  I understand that it is not easy to know how a jade bangle you find online will feel on your wrist, but believe me, I understand and do my best to help customers get their best fitting jade bangle even if it means exchanging.  I treat customers the way I want to be treated, and I want you to have a jade bangle that you feel it on your wrist, but it feels good, not painful.


Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.

Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.








2 comments:

  1. I am having this problem right now. My hands and fingers are starting to get arthritis... i didnt realize they would swell. In addition, I'm also getting bad carpal tunnel that is just awful as i sleep!!! Because of this, i can't wear many of the bangles that I've spent years and years collecting.. My slightly swollen knuckles and hands hurt too much when i try and put them on or take them off. Its just awful for me because I've spent all this time looking for bangles that fit me perfectly, and now-- I've got to start all over again and start finding bangles that are princess cut in size 61mm-62mm or so... All my bangles are 58mm-60mm and hurt a lot to put on or take off with the carpal tunnel & arthritis.
    In addition, the light green princess cut bangle i put on my left wrist last fall when i was switching out my bangles is now my forever bangle i guess, because i can't take it off now!!! i never meant that to happen, but i don't think i have a choice...and the more i see it, i really dont mind at all. I guess it wanted to be on my wrist all the time... so i really don't mind now. Since i was looking for a green bangle to keep on for good, i just didnt think it would be one I already owned.. Although im still looking for another one for my right wrist.. i guess this one is it for my left wrist. And the more i wear it, the more I see some new green veins coming out and showing as it slowly changes with more wear.
    I feel way bad for the older lady mentioned in the post... I hope she found a replacement bangle for the one she had. I think that i would have just told them it doesnt come off.. can't you just wrap it with sterile gauze? As someone whos had many surgeries, i have taken many protective articles of jewelry into surgery and i was told that as long as it can be covered up with with something, many times they'll let you keep it and they can also find alternatives for IV placement according to my RN cousin...no need to break a beautiful old piece of jade.. i think having to do that would have made me sick and i would have cried my eyes out. I sure hope she found a new one that took its place. ������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some women are now wearing jadeite bead bracelets instead of jade bangle bracelets because they love jade but bangles are too uncomfortable, hard feeling, on the wrist. If you love your jade, you certainly have to wear it! Or find an alternative like the bead bracelet that you love. Yes, we did get her a "old mine" vintage jadeite bangle bracelet she could replace the one she had to have destroyed to be removed. Life changes for us all the time, so our jade can, too!

    ReplyDelete