Sunday, March 25, 2018

Jade and Gemstones: Is My Jade Real? Is the Color Natural?

I really like earrings and pendants made from mother of pearl, and moonstone. I like the white spiritual color and "feel" of those stones.    I've bought  a few pieces of each over the years.  And they go good with jade. .  For some reason, I tend to lose an earring, wait a few weeks to try to find, then order another pair.  Last week I lost a moonstone earring, from a pair I've had for quite a few years.  I decided to search through my jewelry box(es) to find another pair I hadn't worn for awhile.  When I found them, the moonstone was dark and looked quite awful.  I bought them on HSN and assumed they would be "real" and good quality.

HSN has a disclaimer on most of their gemstones: "Gemstones and pearls are sometimes treated to enhance their natural beauty."    On jade, they have the notice: "Usually dyed and/or heat-treated to enhance color; occasionally wax-coated to enhance appearance."  

That last statement gives the impression that jade "usually" is treated in some way. 

That is probably true on most commercial web sites. On Amazon, EBay, Etsy I note that most is color treated.  And I previously posted that was the case in Macy's stores.  

Not on Jade Heaven.  

Yes, you can get your jade cheaper on those kinds of sites and stores.  And the treating of the jade does make it look beautiful.  And there's nothing wrong with treated jade.  But you should know all the facts about what  you are getting.

This week I had quite a few emails from people who told me about how their jade had changed over time.  They were unhappy about it, and didn't know why.  

Like I was unhappy the moonstone earrings I wanted to wear were obviously treated, but it was not stated when I bought them.  

But the jade, moonstone, are still "real" even if treated.

I inform people that the only way to know for sure if your jade is grade A genuine and natural is to get it tested by a GIA gemologist, or buy from a business you trust.

Like Jade Heaven.

I offer a guarantee that the jade is as described.  If you get it tested by a GIA gemologist and it is not natural color, you get refunded.   I bought most of the jade I sell in China, on long, hard shopping trips near the Burma border, so I can buy directly from jade carvers.  Also, the jade I buy from the carvers is usually not for export, it's cherished and sold to Chinese people because they want good quality, genuine and natural.

This "ring of sisters" is a lot I purchased from a jade carver 12-13 years ago.  He followed our bargaining sale with a tea ceremony.



 And if you really are concerned about buying genuine and natural jade, these jade bangle bracelets have certificates of Chinese gemology testing.  

#746 Burmese jadeite grade A bangle bracelet with certificate of gemology testing
The label inside matches the certificate

When I first started selling jade online in 2000,  I was one of the first jade lovers in USA to sell jade.  Most of the jade was sold on EBay from China.  If I had known there would be so many dishonest jade sellers now, I would have got certificates of gemology testing on all the jadeite I bought in China.  The GIA certificate testing costs $100-200 but I got certificates on the "China's Favorite" Grade A with Certificate Collection for a much lower price, so I can sell them for a decent price.  

If you are a jade lover, you are probably intuitive, informed about jade to make good decisions on your purchases.   But like I got color treated moonstone earrings, you do have to be careful.


Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.
Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment