Thursday, May 27, 2021

Jade at a Wholesale Gem Show

 I went to my favorite wholesale gem show a few days ago.  I was so happily surprised it was packed with sellers like it was before COVID.  I like to walk through all the rooms in the front, then go into the large open area where most of the sellers are and walk up and down the rows and rows of tables and exhibits.  I usually don't purchase anything during my first "trip around the show".  When I go around the second time, I seem to be attracted to gemstones that have good compatibility with me.  And I start seriously shopping.  


"Raiders of Lost Art" display at Gem Show

In previous blogs about these gem shows,  I mentioned how much "fake jade" is being sold.  This show didn't have as much "fake jade",  but a lot of the Burmese jadeite was color treated so it wasn't grade A but the sellers denied that it was color treated.  Jadeite coming from China often gets certificates of gemology testing, and some that are labeled as grade A have had polish with color in it after the testing to make it looks more colorful and "beautiful".  The way the lighting was at the show this time gave it an appearance that made me stop and handle it, hold it at different angles.  My jade associate in China who virtually shops with me for jadeite near the Burma border told me and showed me photos and videos about the waxing and polishing with color, but the sellers at the show denied it.

I was surprised and pleased to see genuine and natural Chinese jade carvings that a few of the sellers had.  Some were really large and detailed carvings, similar to the Ying Yu Jade carvings.  The prices were quite high, but it gave me the knowledge about what Chinese jade carvings, pendants sell for now.  The prices have truly increased over the years.  I purchased some very well carved Chinese jade "money toads", the frog with a slit in the mouth to put in a coin.   I have a huge Chinese jade money toad in my office, next to my desk with a big coin, to help my jade business to be successful.  This photo is the jade money toes I purchased for Ying Yu Jade.

And of course I am always tempted to buy jade for myself!  How can I resist!  I have been limiting myself to one item only at these gem shows, and this is what I purchased this time:


Ox Pendant with Jade

This is the Chinese Lunar Year of the Ox, and this year is the Metal Ox.  The Ox head and horns are made from ox bone. It is attached to a silver backing and bail.  And in the middle of Ox's head is a jade stone!  It's big, 4" across and 3" length, a good strong Ox.  And although it's "mine", you can make an offer on it if you would like it (I have a pendant that is similar but no jade in Ox's head).  I will not wear it for 30 days and that's the time I will take offers.   Contact me at yingyujade@yingyujade.com to make your offer, be sure to include a note that you are making an offer on Ox.  After 3  days, then it's truly mine!


Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.


Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment