Saturday, August 15, 2020

Is My Jade Jade Bangle Real or Fake? Lots of Fake Jade on Etsy

I really liked Etsy for shopping for personal items.  It seemed to be a well managed and to oversee products.   I decided to sell jade on Etsy a few years ago, and within a week Etsy management removed all my listings because they were "jade".   No real explanation.    Last year I realized I had a lot of yarn that I used to knit with, way more than I needed, so decided I would open a new account to sell it on Etsy.

Every morning when I log it, the first page shows me my search results.   Yes, I look for jade  because curious about what kind of jade is being sold now.

Look at these photos and decide which ones are genuine and natural, and which jade bangle bracelets are "fake" and/or color treated but described as "natural":







None of these are genuine natural Chinese jade or Burmese jadeite, but they are all listed as genuine natural, and all being allowed on Etsy.

And of course Ebay is the same.   

I am amazed at some of the photos people send me showing a "jade" bangle on their wrist from a different seller, and wondering why our prices were not as low as what they paid for.  Some people even purchased from China, so felt assured it was real and genuine.  If I reply that it's either quartz that color treated, or jade that is bleached with acid and color treated, it will make me seem like I am insulting them, so I don't reply with my professional opinion.   My jade associate in China who I shop virtually with near Burma border for Burmese jadeite bangle bracelets has told me that in southern China, they Chinese jade there is very poor quality so they either color treat it, or as they do with the Burmese jadeite, bleach it with acid and add color.  And since quartz is very available there, they sell quartz as "jade".

All of our jade is genuine and natural.  If you decide to get it tested and it is not, we offer full refunds, but that has never happened in the 20 years of selling jade online.  

Jade Heaven  sells only Burmese jadeite grade A, some with certificates of gemology testing.

Ying Yu Jade sells genuine and natural Chinese jade made by our jade carver in China to high standards.  Ying Yu Jade also sells genuine and natural Burmese jadeite.  Some have certificates of gemology testing.  The "old mine" jadeite purchased before all this "fake jade" became popular to sell is tested in our lab by refraction so we can know it is genuine jadeite.

The photos in this blog are pretty, and I'm sure the owners are happy to wear them.  But if you want "real jade", visit Ying Yu Jade or Jade Heaven, and pay more for the "real thing".



Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.


Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment