Friday, May 11, 2018

Taking Care of Your Jade in Summer Weather

It's summer here in central Florida.  Really.  Hot.  90 degrees during the daytime already.

When summer comes, it's important to keep your jade cool.  I keep the jade that is in storage in a cool part of our home, where it is also dark.  That's what jade likes.  When I would go into very good quality jade shops in China, they were often dark, looking like it was closed, not open for business.  But if you could see a little light inside, you knew it was open.  The jade was stored in mostly dark.  And in cool temperatures, even in southern China. When I was in a shop like that, I knew I would get good quality jade.

I wear my jade bangle bracelet outdoors, when I go to the pool.  But since I don't spend long periods of time outdoors when it's really hot, it's safe for the jade.  When I go into the pool, I usually keep my jade bangle wrist above the water, but if it does spend some time in the chlorine pool water, I wash it with soap and cool water when I get home.  Sometimes if it seems sticky from sunscreen, I use furniture polish to clean it up.

Since I always have a jade bangle bracelet on, it's in the shower with me, too.  So it stays hydrated and clean.  I wipe lotions off, but don't use any harsh cleaners.

I love white jade with some apple green veins for summer.  The qi energy seems cooling, calming.  I know it's "right" for me to wear in the summer, a yin jade in yang heat, because it "glows" as I wear it.

JHBB579 soft yin green and white Burmese jadeite bangle bracelet for summer

Mother of Pearl jewelry looks good with my jade in the summer, and I really do like MOP pendants.  I was cleaning out a jewelry box last week and found a key chain I bought in Tahiti a few years ago.  It's mother of pearl with a palm tree near the ocean, and a little darker color near the top you usually don't see on mother of pearl.  It reminds me of how beautiful those islands are but there are also the dangers of tropical storms looming. 


I plan to remove the key chain clasp and replace it with a bail so I can wear it as a pendant. It's too pretty to leave in a drawer because I don't want to damage it using it as a key chain.

And I have to remind myself to wear all my jade bangle bracelets!  I get hooked on one, wear it for a long time, but when I "go to the drawer", I see another one that looks like "just the right one", and that gets to spend some time on my wrist.

Take care of your jade, so its qi energy takes care of you!


Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.
Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment