Thursday, October 1, 2020

Is My Jade Bangle Bracelet Cracked or Scratched? What Does a Crack Do to a Jade Bangle Bracelet?

 I personally take the photos of all the jade listed on the web sites.  And the photos are taken outdoors on our screened sun deck, in natural daylight so the photos can be edited to look like the "real thing", not photoshopped to look "perfect".  I take a few pieces of jade, bangle bracelets, pendants, carvings, beads in a basket with a towel, a polishing cloth, the "double dragon" metal piece I use to hold bangles, and use a background for other jade items.  When I get set up, I polish the jade piece and examine it carefully in the daylight to look at the color patterns, "feel" the jade qi energy, and get a "feel" for the description title when it gets listed.  

Sometimes I find an "imperfection" on the jade piece.  There's a Chinese saying: "the jade carver always leaves something behind".  All of our jade is hand carved, not machine carved, and hand made items are not always "perfect".  But sometimes that's what makes them so special.  In fact, genuine and natural jade with a small imperfection is always more valuable than a color treated or "fake" jade.  

But I understand most customers do want "perfect" jade.  So I do my best to make sure that if there is a small imperfection, it is detailed in the listing information.  

And if I "need a new jade bangle for myself", (like I have so many now!) it's an "imperfect" one I keep.

This is one of my favorite jade bangle bracelets:


I can barely get it over my knuckles and onto my wrist.  It is quite wide, which makes it seem smaller than the usual size.  But when I do get it on, it's the best bangle I have because it stays close to my wrist and doesn't "fall up my wrist" when I'm active.   This is genuine natural grade A Burmese jadeite, purchased before the "fake jade" became popular so it doesn't have a certificate of gemology testing.  When I was "bargaining" for it from the jade carver, he had it packed with two other very similar bangles.  The color is very good green, and some of the veins are the rare and precious imperial green.  I really wanted only the other two that were in perfect condition, to sell online, but he wanted me to buy all three.  I put this one on my wrist.  It was stuck because it was so hot in south China near the Burma border I could not take it off to continue bargaining.  So I pretended that I agreed to buy all three.  And I got very good prices for the lot of three because of this.  Being an "American", he knew Americans expected "perfect" so he felt like he "won" the bargaining deal.  But I knew I won, because I fell in love with it.  

It's not easy to see from the photo, but there are small cracks throughout the deep and imperial green veins, on the bottom they appear grey.  And there is a one inch+ "clarification line" on the white color that is on the side you can't see in the photo.  It is visible but it really just looks like part of the natural jade.  And that's another reason I wanted it:  clarification lines are formed while the jade is being formed when there is a lot of pressure in the ground.  The clarification line took the pressure off  and actually makes the jade stronger because on the round style, it's easy to break of dropped or struck hard. I wear this bangle most of the time, and I'm active, and it has lasted through many years.   A crack goes up and down the width.  A clarification line goes "around".

I do my best to include anything that is not "perfect" in the description, but sometimes miss a little "something" that "the jade carver leaves behind".   Our "old mine" Burmese jadeite bangle bracelet are best quality overall, rare to find today because carved before 2008 when the political problems re-started in Myanmar. So if you purchase one of our jade bangle bracelets on Ying Yu Jade or Jade Heaven and see a "little something", of course we will exchange if you are not happy with it.  But hold it first:  "feel" the qi energy; "feel" the history of this jadeite.  "Feel" how your body, mind and spirit are attached (or not attached" to genuine, natural jade.


Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.


Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment