Sunday, January 13, 2019

What Kind of Jade Do You Wear? Here's My "Collection"

I often get requests to show more photos of the very vintage Burmese jadeite carved bangle bracelet I wear.  So here are some photos, and photos of my custom made jade jewelry.






This is the jade bangle I have blogged about previously.  I was sitting across from a Chinese woman on a train from Beijing to Tianjin.  At that time, around the year 2000, many Chinese women were very curious about what "Western women" carried in their purses and bags.  I was organizing the chaos in my bags, and she watched intently.  I had learned a little Chinese language, and showed offered her some of those sample cosmetics you can get at cosmetic counters.  She was thrilled.  Then she took this jade bangle off her wrist, and asked to trade it for my handbag.  She was a young woman and the ancestry wasn't as meaningful to her, and she thought wearing the bangle was "old fashioned".  So we traded.  And I never regret swapping that bag for this bangle.  It has some "hong" reddish orange veins, and the carving is very detailed, bamboo, some lucky coins, lotus. In the photo of my wrist with bangle and bead bracelet, you can see how this jade had a clarification line.  As the jadeite stone was being formed, it cracked and resealed, which actually makes the stone more hard.  It's been around more than 100 years, and I wear it most of the time for the last 19 years, so it is certainly very strong, as I am an active person.

The first Burmese jadeite pendant I purchased was in 1999 when I was traveling in China with my qigong group and Master who lived in USA but home is Beijing.  Most tourist groups only go to tourist oriented jade shops, but we were traveling with a person who knew his way around China.  He taught me that "diamonds and gold have a price, but jade has no price", and since we were not in a tourist shop, the jade had "no price".  The bargaining lesson for me began.

Burmese jadeite double coins, auspicious carving pendant made into a necklace

I made the chain with jadeite beads and silver and learned how to wire wrap to attach pendants.

'Guan Yin" Buddha of Compassion Burmese jadeite pendant made into a necklace


The next pendant I bought on my next trip to China in 2000 when I went there on my own was so beautiful I could not resist it.  The seller was like I am when I love a certain jade piece, he didn't really want to sell it.   But he was impressed I could speak some Chinese AND had that gorgeous carved jadeite bangle bracelet, so I was able to bargain for it.  Then attached it to a wire with jadeite beads to wear as a necklace.


This is another necklace I made.  The jade piece is Chinese jade, from north east China where the jade mines are.  It's basically a simple polished stone, to which I attached an opal heart, and then mixed beads on a wire to wear as a necklace.

I'm not the only one in my home who wears jade.  My husband has no interest in wearing jade, but my teddy bears love it!


Teddy is actually wearing the jadeite bracelets that are adjustable with silk cord.  I can dress up Teddy whenever I find some jade that needs wearing.  Teddy is also watching the Christmas "necklace" bracelet that was worn during the Christmas holiday season.  These adjustable jadeite bracelets are beautiful and very versatile.   You can see more here.

Yes, I have draws full of jade that I just can't put on the web sites to be sold.  Of course I can't wear it all, but when jade touches your heart, that means it's good for you and you should have it, even if you can't wear it all the time.




Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.

Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.








3 comments:

  1. I love it when you post photos of your vintage carved bangle. I am looki g for something similar for myself. Would you say that this one shares some qualities with it: https://yingyujade.com/collections/genuine-natural-burmese-jadeite-old-mine-bangle-bracelets-grade-a/products/phoenix-lotus-lucky-coin-carved-lao-pit-burmese-jadeite-bangle-bracelet-57-5mm-bb2922
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading the blogs. Yes, BB2922 has some similar properties. The jadeite stone is older, probably mined around the turn of the century. And the carving is the traditional style. Some of the jade carvers on the Burma border still carve in the old, traditional way although carved jade bangles are becoming more rare. Technology has become more modern instead of the carver doing all the carving in the "old" style. It's probably as close to "my jade bangle" as what I have. As for the color, BB2929 is older jadeite, a vintage estate jade bangle I purchased https://yingyujade.com/collections/vintage-estate-and-pre-owned-jade/products/deal-of-the-day-pre-owned-estate-burmese-jadeite-spiritual-bangle-bracelet-58-5mm-bb2918 and close to the color of mine. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the info.

    ReplyDelete