Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Guatamala, Jadeite and the Volcano Eruption

When I heard about the volcano eruption in Guatamala, I looked on the map to see where the volcano is in relationship to  the major jadeite mine and carvers   And they are quite close to each other.

"Real" jadeite mines are located in Myanman (Burma) and Guatamala.  The jadeite in Guatamala looks slightly different from Burmese jadeite, but it is very beautiful and the color, quality is similar.  We were on a cruise through the Panama Canal several years ago, and of course I took the bus to Casa Del Jade.  I wandered most of the day through the workshops and shops selling the jade.  While "business" is about the Burmese jadeite, of course I purchased a few pieces of Guatamala jade for myself.


This is a gorgeous and large jade pendant with silver bail that is made into a flower with a jade bead in the center.  The quality seemed to be the best of the jadeite.




I couldn't find a bangle bracelet my size, so purchased this stretch bracelet that alternates the light and dark jade colors.  I love "yin and yang" for the balance, so this bracelet is often on my "other" wrist, not the one I wear my jade bangle on.


I have been trying to get information about how the volcano has affected the jade mines and businesses in Guatamala.    The danger of the volcano and how it is affecting life is the priority right now.  But I sure would feel sad if that volcano has damaged their jade.




                        Comments are welcome and reviewed to make sure they are not SPAM.
Please allow time for your comment to be reviewed and posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment